On 23 August 1915 the Adelaide City Council accepted a proposal by the Wattle Day League to establish a grove of wattle trees to commemorate the landing of Australian troops at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915.
The ‘war memorial plantation’ was designed by Adelaide builder and prominent League member, Walter Torode. His design included a 3.65m high granite obelisk, to be positioned in the middle of the plantation.
The obelisk was relocated to its current site in 1940.
For further information, visit http://adelaidia.sa.gov.au/things/dardanelles-memorial
Filter content related to Dardanelles Memorial, South Parklands